NOC for Embassy of the United States of America: Clarification on Marriage Affidavits

In recent times, the Embassy of the United States of America in New Delhi has encountered inquiries regarding “No Objection” letters for individuals intending to marry in India. It’s imperative to clarify certain aspects concerning these requests and the Embassy’s role in facilitating marriage procedures for American citizens. Here’s an elucidation of the Embassy’s stance:

Addressing Requests for “No Objection” Letters:

  • The Embassy occasionally receives requests for “No Objection” letters concerning individuals’ intent to marry in India.
  • However, it’s crucial to note that the Embassy cannot provide official certification about the marital status or eligibility of persons residing in the United States who intend to marry abroad.

Clarification on Notarizing Affidavits:

  • Previously, the Embassy refrained from notarizing affidavits concerning marital status based on guidance from the U.S. Department of State.
  • However, in light of new guidance, the Embassy is now authorized to notarize a statement from the U.S. citizen party to the marriage. This statement affirms that the individual is free to marry.

Understanding the Embassy’s Role:

  • The Embassy’s role is to facilitate consular services for American citizens in India. While it cannot certify the eligibility for marriage or the laws governing marriage in the United States, it can provide notarization services for statements affirming marital status.

Contact Information:

  • For further inquiries or assistance regarding consular services, individuals can contact the American Citizen Services at the following:
    • Address: Shanti Path, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi, India 110021
    • Tel: 011 2419 8000
    • Fax: 011 2419 8407
    • Email:

Conclusion: The Embassy of the United States of America in New Delhi strives to assist American citizens with their consular needs, including marriage-related inquiries. While it cannot provide “No Objection” letters, it is authorized to notarize statements affirming marital status. Individuals seeking such services can contact the American Citizen Services for guidance and support.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


error: Content is protected !!
Call Now Button